Sunday, May 17, 2009

Onward Christian Soldiers

Reader Jesse sent me this great slideshow by GQ showing internal memos from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld delivered personally to President Bush. These intelligence reports, from March 17, 2003, to April 11, 2003, all contain bible verses on the front page. Saith GQ:
In the days surrounding the U.S. invasion of Iraq, coversheets like the ones in this exclusive GQ.com slideshow - began adorning top-secret intelligence briefings produced by Donald Rumsfeld's Pentagon. The sheets juxtaposed war images with inspirational bible quotes and were delivered by Rumsfeld himself to the White House ...
Sing with me: Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war ...

2 comments:

Matt F. said...

I hope I am not just speaking for myself when I say that I find that slideshow extremely creepy. I think that we can all agree that when this country sends troops to the Middle East it must never be thought of in terms of a holy war, for both practical and moral reasons.

Drew said...

Amen.