Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rep. Foxx speaks

Now, I disagree with Republican political ideology, but even so, Rep. Virginia Foxx (NC-5) and I have mutually exclusive understandings of the world around us; I just don't get what she is thinking most of the time. Quick background: I was the campaign manager for a congressional race against her in 2006, when she voted against Katrina relief and thought the Iraq War was going swell (when fighting was at its worst). For sports fans, she was the one who made a mockery of the baseball's congressional steroid hearings when she took four random pictures of Roger Clemmons and said, "You look the same size in each of the pictures, therefore you can't have taken steroids."

So I came across this one sentence post by Andrew Sullivan:
Noam Scheiber points out the faulty financial logic of a GOP congresswoman.
My heart dropped and I thought, "What did Foxx say now." I mean, there are plenty of Republican congresswomen, but if one of them is getting negative national attention there is a heightened chance it is Foxx. The link takes you to The New Republic, and sure enough, they are criticizing Foxx and her "breathtaking" understanding of the economic meltdown:
This tidbit from the Times story on the House stimulus vote just bowls you over:

Representative Virginia Foxx, Republican of North Carolina, said that former President George Bush’s signature tax cuts in 2001 had created years of growth but that the nation’s problems started when Democrats regained majorities in Congress in the 2006 elections.

Really? So the Democrats came into office and a housing bubble retroactively inflated and began to pop? Mortgage-backed assets worth trillions less than their stated value just magically appeared on bank balance sheets and in hedge fund portfolios?

Just to clarify, did all this happen on election night 2006, or was it not until January of 2007, when Nancy Pelosi officially became Speaker?

Ugh. Too bad that district is so gerrymandered (PVI R+16). She is an embarrassment.

4 comments:

Kent H said...

Hey Drew,
Maybe I should run for that seat next time around. I do live in the district.

Drew said...

If you think you can raise about $1.5 mil, and you practically never want to see your family again ... then count me in. I bet Darren might even be willing to help.

Anonymous said...

Me, working for a conservative evolution-denier? Every other aspect of his candidacy would have to be golden. Hell I was probably too liberal for Roger and Roy.

That said, I have a plan for the 5th in 2010. HQ in Forsyth, an office in Statesville, and an office in Boone.

We run in Winston, Statesville, and Boone, but primarily in Winston. The candidate rarely leaves Forsyth.

As we have seen these past four years, running around Wilkes and Yadkin and Alleghany and Stokes has been nothing more than wasted time.

Instead of keeping the top people in their respective counties, we bring them to Forsyth. 90% of all ad buys are in Forsyth. 75% of the overall GOTV effort is in Forsyth.

I will be the first to admit that the "get as many votes as possible everywhere" sounded reasonable to me. But it hasn't worked.

As a matter of fact, I think Drew and I debated this at one point back in 06. I thought Roger could win the mountain counties and even Wilkes, while Drew kept drilling "Forsyth is the key" into my brain.

That said, whoever the candidate is come next month (and a candidate needs to come on the scene quickly), my services are at their disposal.

Anonymous said...

Count me in too, Kent.